A Program Requirement for HIT and CIM Students
COMP101 - Intro to Computer Applications (4 units)
Prepare for your HIT/CIM program courses by learning basic operations of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access & Power Point). Learn basic computer concepts, terms and applications used in your online courses.
Improve Your Computer Skills
Word, Excel, Access & PowerPoint, and web based applications
Basic Operations of Windows
The COMP department wants you to be successful in COMP 101. In order to do that, you must have the right hardware and software, and register for the correct section for that hardware/software. One of the greatest barriers to student success in COMP 101 is they get off to a rocky start because they are either in the wrong section or do not have the hardware and software required and specified for the course/CRN.
It is slightly more complicated to register for COMP 101 than for other courses because the section numbers are associated with a particular version of Office.
CRN #30297, 30298, 30300, 31918, 31987, 35596, 36079 using Windows 8 and Office 2013.
Computer Requirements--PRIOR to the start of the semester, you must have the following:
- IBM-compatible personal computer with modem and mouse (no Macs, unless you configure your Mac with a Windows emulator and can install the Windows operating system and Office 2013 programs).
- Your computer must have Windows 8 installed. Although you may use Windows 7, you will be tested on Windows 8.
- The complete Office 2013 Professional package (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint 2013.)
- SAM 2013 (part of the textbook requirements detailed in the orientation that will be emailed to you).
- Internet access (broadband strongly preferred!)
- If you don't have these programs, you must purchase and install them by the first day of class.
IMPORTANT INSTRUCTIONS FOR ALL CRN # SECTIONS:
- As soon as you register, send an email to COMPOnline@pipeline.sbcc.edu . Use the following subject line: COMP 101 ONLINE, CRN# (Please include your CRN number). You will be sent detailed hardware & software requirements, the online orientation, with instructions on how to log in and get started and book/supply details. Order your books and check your software as soon as possible!
- This is a fully online class and has NO on-campus meetings, so you must have the correct software to take the class. See notes above.
- This course IS NOT self-paced. There are specific deadlines. So you must begin working by the first week of the semester or you will be dropped from the course.
If you have any further questions about COMP 101, you may email COMPOnline@sbcc.edu