HIT/CIM Department Transfer Credit Policy
The following HIT courses will be considered for transfer credit IF they were completed (1) at a regionally-accredited institution AND (2) through a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program or an AHIMA-Approved Coding Program.
HIT101, HIT102, HIT200, HIT202, HIT203, HIT205, HIT210, and HIT255. We are normally unable to consider transfer credit for these courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request; however, students who 1) hold active AHIMA credentials and 2) have been actively working in the field may request individual review.
The following HIT courses will be considered for transfer credit IF they were completed (1) at a regionally-accredited institution AND (2) through a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program.
HIT220, HIT230, HIT240, and HIT265. We are normally unable to consider transfer credit for these courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request; however, students who 1) hold active AHIMA credentials and 2) have been actively working in the field may request individual review.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for HIT275, HIT280, HIT284 and HIT285.
The following CIM courses will only be considered for transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university program that is an NCRA-Accredited CIM Program:
CIM100, CIM125, CIM150, CIM202, CIM225, CIM250. Not only must the program be NCRA -accredited, the institution must also be regionally accredited. We are unable to consider transfer credit for courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for CIM275.
For department requirements other than those courses listed above, transfer credit will be considered from any regionally accredited college or university in the United States or from any international college or university deemed equivalent by an independent transcript evaluation service.
Coursework from Health IT Workforce Training programs is not accepted toward the Medical Coding, HIT, or CIM programs.
(The above policies are Department-approved as of January 2015)
Instructions to Request a Transcript Evaluation
For transcript evaluations toward major requirements and/or general education requirements, follow the steps below. NOTE: This service is ONLY for students in the HIT/CIM/Medical Coding programs. All other majors need to go through the Academic Counseling Center.
1. Order Official Transcripts from all colleges attended. For options on submitting transcripts to
SBCC, go here.
2. To verify that SBCC received your transcripts, please view your student records in your Pipeline account, following the steps outlined here. (Once the college receives the transcript, it can then take 3-5 working days before your transcript is accessible for evaluation.)
3. If you ONLY have California Community College transcripts from 2000 forward, then
go here and complete the college's new online evaluation request form. You will receive information
to your Pipeline email when the evaluation is complete. After that, contact Gwyer
Schuyler, Counselor, at email@example.com, for help planning your classes and developing
a Student Educational Plan (SEP).
4. If you have non-California Community College transcripts or California Community College transcripts prior to 2000, complete the self evaluation form below for your major. Type directly into the form, save it and email it to Linda Uribe, Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Transcript Evaluation Request. For assistance with the form or process, email Linda. After you get your results back, contact Gwyer Schuyler, Counselor, at email@example.com, for help planning your classes and developing a Student Educational Plan (SEP).
5. If you have healthcare-related licenses or credentials that you would like considered
to waive requirements, reference the information here and email a copy of your license/credential to Linda Uribe, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include
your student ID in your email.
6. The evaluation results and educational planning information will be emailed to your SBCC Pipeline e-mail account. Prerequisite holds associated with HIT/CIM course work will be cleared based on evaluation results. Due to the high volume of requests during registration periods, it can take three to four weeks to get your results.
1. SBCC reserves the right to request further documents as needed to conduct an evaluation.
2. In some cases, evaluation of courses for subject and/or unit credit must be reviewed by the SBCC department offering a similar course.
3. For international transcript evaluation procedures, students must provide an official evaluation of student's transcripts completed by an independent transcript evaluation service. All NACES accredited agencies will be accepted. Click here for the full list of agencies.
Important Notes regarding international transcript evaluation reports:
1. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
2. You should request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/under division breakdown.
3. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.