HIT/CIM Department Transfer Credit Policy
The following HIT courses will only be considered for transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university program that is a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program or an AHIMA-Approved Coding Program:
HIT101, HIT102, HIT200, HIT205, HIT210, HIT220, HIT230, HIT240, HIT255, and HIT265. We are unable to consider transfer credit for these courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for HIT275, HIT280, HIT284 and HIT285.
The following CIM courses will only be considered for transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university program that is an NCRA-Accredited CIM Program:
CIM100, CIM125, CIM150, CIM202, CIM225, CIM250. Not only must the program be NCRA -accredited, the institution must also be regionally accredited. We are unable to consider transfer credit for courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for CIM275.
For department requirements other than those courses listed above, transfer credit will be considered from any regionally accredited college or university in the United States or from any international college or university deemed equivalent by an independent transcript evaluation service.
Coursework from Health IT Workforce Training programs is not accepted toward the Medical Coding, HIT, or CIM programs.
(The above policies are Department-approved as of March 18, 2013)
Instructions for Transcript Evaluation
For transcript evaluations toward major requirements and/or general education requirements, follow the steps below.
1. Order Official Transcripts from all colleges attended and have them sent directly to SBCC Admissions,
721 Cliff Drive, Santa Barbara, CA 93109. To verify that SBCC received your transcripts,
please view your student records in your Pipeline account, following the steps outlined
2. Once you have verified that all official transcripts have been received by SBCC in your Pipeline account, email Gwyer Schuyler, Academic Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Transcript Evaluation Request and include the following information:
Student ID Number
Major (HIT AS, Medical Coding Specialist Certificate, CIM AS or CIM Certificate)
List of All Colleges Attended
3. The evaluation results will be emailed to your SBCC Pipeline e-mail account. Prerequisite holds associated with HIT/CIM course work will be cleared based on evaluation results.
1. SBCC reserves the right to request further documents as needed to conduct an evaluation.
2. In some cases, evaluation of courses for subject and/or unit credit must be reviewed by the SBCC department offering a similar course.
3. For international transcript evaluation procedures, students must provide an official evaluation of student's transcripts completed by an independent transcript evaluation service approved by SBCC. Here are the list of approved agencies:
ACEI (Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute)
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phones: (310) 275-3530, (800) 234-1597;
Fax: (310) 275-3528
AERC (American Education Research Center)
P.O. Box 996
West Covina, CA 91793-0996
Phone: (626) 339-4404; Fax: (626) 339-9081
IERF (International Education Research Foundation, Inc. Credentials Evaluation Service)
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Telephone: (310) 258-9451;
Fax: (310) 342-7086
WES (World Education Services)
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6239
Important Notes regarding international transcript evaluation reports:
1. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
2. You should request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/under division breakdown.
3. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.