HIT/CIM Department Transfer Credit Policy
The following HIT courses will be considered for transfer credit IF they were completed (1) at a regionally-accredited institution AND (2) through a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program or an AHIMA-Approved Coding Program.
HIT101, HIT102, HIT200, HIT202, HIT203, HIT205, HIT210, and HIT255. We are normally unable to consider transfer credit for these courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request; however, students who 1) hold active AHIMA credentials and 2) have been actively working in the field may request individual review.
The following HIT courses will be considered for transfer credit IF they were completed (1) at a regionally-accredited institution AND (2) through a CAHIIM-Accredited HIT Program.
HIT220, HIT230, HIT240, and HIT265. We are normally unable to consider transfer credit for these courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request; however, students who 1) hold active AHIMA credentials and 2) have been actively working in the field may request individual review.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for HIT275, HIT280, HIT284 and HIT285.
The following CIM courses will only be considered for transfer credit from a regionally accredited college or university program that is an NCRA-Accredited CIM Program:
CIM100, CIM125, CIM150, CIM202, CIM225, CIM250. Not only must the program be NCRA -accredited, the institution must also be regionally accredited. We are unable to consider transfer credit for courses completed more than five (5) years prior to the request.
Transfer credit will not be awarded for CIM275.
For department requirements other than those courses listed above, transfer credit will be considered from any regionally accredited college or university in the United States or from any international college or university deemed equivalent by an independent transcript evaluation service.
Coursework from Health IT Workforce Training programs is not accepted toward the Medical Coding, HIT, or CIM programs.
(The above policies are Department-approved as of January 2015)
Instructions to Request a Transcript Evaluation
For transcript evaluations toward major requirements and/or general education requirements, follow the steps below. NOTE: This service is ONLY for students in the HIT/CIM/Medical Coding programs. All other majors need to go through the Academic Counseling Center.
1. Order Official Transcripts from all colleges attended. For options on submitting transcripts to
SBCC, go here.
2. To verify that SBCC received your transcripts, please view your student records in your Pipeline account, following the steps outlined here. (Once the college receives the transcript, it can then take 3-5 working days before your transcript is accessible for evaluation.)
3. Complete the self evaluation form below for your major. Type directly into the form, save it and email it to Linda Uribe, Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line Transcript Evaluation Request. For assistance with the form or process, email Linda.
4. The evaluation results and educational planning information will be emailed to your SBCC Pipeline e-mail account. Prerequisite holds associated with HIT/CIM course work will be cleared based on evaluation results. Due to the high volume of requests during registration periods, it can take three to four weeks to get your results.
1. SBCC reserves the right to request further documents as needed to conduct an evaluation.
2. In some cases, evaluation of courses for subject and/or unit credit must be reviewed by the SBCC department offering a similar course.
3. For international transcript evaluation procedures, students must provide an official evaluation of student's transcripts completed by an independent transcript evaluation service approved by SBCC. Here are the list of approved agencies:
ACEI (Academic Credentials Evaluation Institute)
P.O. Box 6908
Beverly Hills, CA 90212
Phones: (310) 275-3530, (800) 234-1597;
Fax: (310) 275-3528
AERC (American Education Research Center)
P.O. Box 996
West Covina, CA 91793-0996
Phone: (626) 339-4404; Fax: (626) 339-9081
IERF (International Education Research Foundation, Inc. Credentials Evaluation Service)
P.O. Box 3665
Culver City, CA 90231-3665
Telephone: (310) 258-9451;
Fax: (310) 342-7086
WES (World Education Services)
P.O. Box 5087
Bowling Green Station
New York, NY 10274-5087
Telephone: (212) 966-6311
Fax: (212) 739-6239
Important Notes regarding international transcript evaluation reports:
1. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
2. You should request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/under division breakdown.
3. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.