Transcript Evaluation Office

Back to SBCC

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)


AP Scores

Transcript Evaluations

Degree Works

Additional Information



What is the deadline to submit my official transcripts to Santa Barbara City College (SBCC)? Official transcripts are processed on a rolling basis. Due to the time necessary to complete your transcript evaluation, we highly recommend you submit official transcripts from all external institutions immediately upon enrollment at SBCC.

For submission deadlines for clearance of prerequisites/corequisites, please check here.

How long does it take to for my official transcripts to be evaluated using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form? Official transcripts are evaluated in the order they are received. During non-peak times most transcripts are evaluated within four (4) weeks. During peak times most transcripts are evaluated within twelve (12) weeks.*

For prerequisite/corequisite processing times, please check here.

*Excluding holidays, weekends, and closures. Due to a high volume of requests, timelines are subject to change without notice to accommodate increased demand.

How do I submit my official transcripts? Click here for instructions on how to submit your OFFICIAL transcripts to SBCC Admissions & Records.

Transcripts sent directly to the Transcript Evaluation Office will not be processed or reviewed. Unofficial transcripts are not accepted.

SBCC accepts official transcripts from institutions that are regionally accredited (Associations of Colleges and Schools).

Documents submitted to SBCC become the property of SBCC and are subject to federal laws, including The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA).

How can I find out if my official transcripts have been received by SBCC? Use Pipeline to see if SBCC has received official transcripts that you have had sent from other institutions. Follow these step-by-step instructions.

AP Scores

How do I submit my Advanced Placement (AP) Scores? SBCC accepts AP scores issued from College Board. For fastest processing, please download a copy of your "Student Score Report" from College Board and email it to as soon as possible. Alternatively, you may follow the directions on the College Board website to have a hard copy report of your scores mailed to SBCC (fees may apply).  

Why don't I see all of my AP exam scores in Degree Works? (Updated 10/26/17) First, please make sure that we have your most up-to-date score report by emailing

At this time, displaying AP scores in Degree Works™ is still under development. Because of this, some scores may not show on your degree audit. However, we maintain a record of all AP scores you submit to us and credit for AP scores is based on the Advanced Placement Chart, even if a score is missing from your audit in Degree Works.

If you have any questions please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

If you think AP scores are missing from your degree audit, please make sure SBCC received your scores by emailing

Transcript Evaluations

How do I find out when my evaluation is complete? Check the TAPPER online form for the status of your evaluation request. As your request is processed, status updates will be sent to your SBCC Pipeline email address. You will also be contacted at your SBCC Pipeline email address if there are any issues with your request.

Where can I see how my external coursework applies toward my educational goals at SBCC? After your coursework has been evaluated check Degree Works™ to see how it applies toward your educational goals at SBCC. Tutorials on how to understand your Degree Works audit are available on the Academic Counseling website.

Why don't I see all of my coursework from other schools displayed on my Degree Works audit? At this time, Degree Works™ primarily displays the following: Coursework from SBCC, coursework from other California Community Colleges (click here for a list of schools), AP scores, and SBCC assessment scores. 

Please also note that the degree audit in Degree Works™ is still under development and there may be technical issues or glitches. If you think you see an error on your audit please send an email to

Reasons you may not see your coursework from external institutions:

  • The most common reason is because SBCC has not received official transcripts from the previous institutions you have attended and you have not requested a review of your transcript. Evaluations do not happen automatically. 
  • External coursework must be complete to be evaluated. In-progress coursework is not evaluated. If you have in-progress coursework you will need to submit updated official transcripts to SBCC.
  • Coursework completed prior to Summer 1983 is not displayed on the degree audit. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
  • The degree audit does not currently include coursework from non-California Community Colleges. If you have coursework from other institutions such as the UC, CSU, private schools, or out of state institutions please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
  • Santa Barbara City College grants lower division subject and/or unit credit for most coursework completed at regionally accredited (Associations of Colleges and Schools) institutions of higher learning. Only in very limited circumstances can upper-division coursework be used to clear certain requirements at SBCC. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

Will math courses from other institutions count toward requirements at SBCC? Some math courses from other California Community Colleges are accepted in place of courses offered by SBCC. Check the Math Matrix* to see if math courses at SBCC maybe substituted for your external math courses. If you have coursework from non-California Community Colleges please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

*On the Math Matrix click "Enable Editing."  Scroll over courses marked in red to see additional topics you need to study on your own time in order to be prepared for the next level course.

If an external course is not equivalent to a course from SBCC, but I think it meets the program requirements, what are my options? You may check with the department to see if they will consider a course substitution. Alternatively, you may meet with an Academic Counselor for assistance. Course substitutions are only permitted for some programs. 

Will my external transcript GPA be included on my SBCC transcript? No. The GPA from your external coursework is not calculated or included in the overall GPA on SBCC transcripts. However, grades for external coursework are displayed in Degree Works™.

 Can I transfer coursework from a foreign/international institution to SBCC? It is possible to transfer your foreign/international coursework to SBCC. To receive transfer credit toward an SBCC degree or certificate based on international transcripts, students must provide an official evaluation of their transcripts by an independent transcript evaluation service that is a member of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE) or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Go to AICE or NACES for member listings.


  1. Meet with an SBCC Academic Counselor to find out if it would be beneficial for you to apply for transfer credit. Comprehensive evaluations of international transcripts can be expensive, and may not be necessary depending upon your educational goals. Our Academic Counselors can advise you accordingly.
  2. All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
  3. You may need to request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/under division breakdown.
  4. It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.
  5. Submit the official international transcript evaluation report to the SBCC Admissions & Records Office.


Degree Works

What is Degree Works™? Degree Works™ is an online, comprehensive degree audit and academic advising tool that enables students and advisors to evaluate academic progress. Access Degree Works™ using your Pipeline login. More information about Degree Works™ is available on the Academic Counseling website

Why are some of my external courses shown in Degree Works™ with the subject "TRF" and number “999T”? SBCC assigns a direct equivalent for external coursework whenever possible. However, the course may be assigned the subject TRF and number 999T if there is no direct equivalent course at SBCC, or if the course was taken prior to Fall 2008.

When applicable, these courses may satisfy SBCC degree and certificate requirements, as well as IGETC and CSU GE requirements. This is displayed in Degree Works™ on your degree audit.

Why are some areas of my degree audit in Degree Works™ incomplete if I took a course at a different institution that I know meets the requirement? Rarely, some external coursework may not display properly in the degree audit in Degree Works. This is a technical issue that we are working to resolve. This most often happens with pre-major requirements, major requirements, or the CSU GE U.S History, Constitution and American Ideals section if the course was taken prior to Fall 2004. If you think your external coursework meets degree/certificate requirements but is not displaying properly in Degree Works™ contact an Academic Counselor for assistance. 

Additional Information

Where can I find more information about prerequisite and corequisite policies? Visit the prerequisite and corequisite page for information on completing prerequisite verification forms, frequently asked questions, processing and decision information, and more.

Where can I find more information on testing and alternatives to testing? Visit the Assessment Center for information on English and Math assessment testing, as well as alternatives to testing such as AP exam scores.

Where can I find more information about SBCC academic policies as they apply to external coursework and exams? Students are highly encouraged to review the Academic Standards and Policies section of the SBCC General Catalog.

Who can I contact if I have additional questions?

Contact the Transcript Evaluation Office (TEO) by email at*

Transcripts submitted to this email address are NOT accepted. Follow these instructions to submit your official transcripts to SBCC. 

PLEASE NOTE: The TEO does not advise students on how external coursework will apply toward their educational goals at SBCC. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.

*Due to a large number of requests, we cannot respond to inquiries on the processing status of evaluations submitted using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form. You will be contacted by TEO staff if there are any issues with your evaluation. Visit the FAQ page for more information on processing timelines. Check TAPPER for the status of your request, or check Degree Works to see if your external coursework has been applied to your degree audit.

Back to top Back 

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College