Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- What is the deadline to submit my official transcripts to Santa Barbara City College (SBCC)?
- How long does it take to for my official transcripts to be evaluated using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form?
- How do I submit my official transcripts?
- How can I find out if my official transcripts have been received by SBCC?
- How do I find out when my evaluation is complete?
- Where can I see how my external coursework applies toward my educational goals at SBCC?
- Why didn't all of my prior coursework transfer to SBCC?
- Will math courses from other institutions count toward requirements at SBCC?
- If an external course is not an equivalent to a course from SBCC, but I think it meets the program requirements, what are my options?
- Will my external transcript GPA be included on my SBCC transcript?
- Can I transfer coursework from a foreign/international institution to SBCC?
- What is Degree Works™?
- Why are some of my external courses shown in Degree Works™ with the subject "TRF" and number “999T”?
- Why are some areas of my degree audit in Degree Works™ incomplete if I took a course at a different institution that I know meets the requirement?
- Where can I find more information about prerequisite and corequisite policies?
- Where can I find more information on testing and alternatives to testing?
- Where can I find more information about SBCC academic policies as they apply to external coursework and examsWho can I contact if I have additional questions?
What is the deadline to submit my official transcripts to Santa Barbara City College (SBCC)? Official transcripts are processed on a rolling basis. We highly recommend you submit official transcripts from all external institutions immediately upon enrollment at SBCC.
For submission deadlines for clearance of prerequisites/corequisites, please check here.
How long does it take to for my official transcripts to be evaluated using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form? Official transcripts are evaluated in the order they are received. Generally, California Community College transcripts are evaluated within twelve (12) weeks.*
For prerequisite/corequisite processing times, please check here.
*Excludes holidays, weekends, and closures. Timelines are subject to change without notice to accommodate increased demand.
How do I submit my official transcripts? Click here for instructions on how to submit your OFFICIAL transcripts to SBCC Admissions & Records.
Transcripts sent to the Transcript Evaluation Office are NOT accepted. Unofficial transcripts are NOT accepted. Admissions & Records accepts official transcripts from institutions that are regionally accredited.
Documents submitted to SBCC become the property of SBCC and are subject to federal laws, including The Family Education Rights & Privacy Act (FERPA).
How can I find out if my official transcripts have been received by SBCC? Follow these step-by-step instructions.
How do I submit my Advanced Placement (AP) Scores? SBCC accepts AP scores issued from College Board. For fastest processing, please download a copy of your "Student Score Report" from College Board and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. Alternatively, you may request College Board website mail a hard copy report to SBCC (fees may apply).
Why don't I see all of my AP exam scores in Degree Works™? Make sure we have your most up-to-date score report by emailing a copy (see directions above) to email@example.com.
At this time Degree Works™ is under development and may not show all of the ways your
AP scores can fulfill requirements. Please check the Advanced Placement Chart to see how credit is awarded for AP scores.
How do I find out when my evaluation is complete? Check the TAPPER online form for the status of your evaluation request. You will also be contacted at your SBCC Pipeline email address when your evaluation is complete.
Where can I see how my external coursework applies toward my educational goals at SBCC? After your coursework has been evaluated, check Degree Works™ to see how it applies toward your educational goals at SBCC. Tutorials on how to understand your Degree Works™ audit are available on the Academic Counseling website.
Why don't I see all of my coursework from other schools displayed on my Degree Works™ audit? At this time, Degree Works™ primarily displays the following: Coursework from SBCC, coursework from other California Community Colleges (click here for a list of schools), AP scores, and SBCC assessment scores.
Please also note that the degree audit in Degree Works™ is still under development and there may be technical issues or glitches. If you see an error on your audit please email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Reasons you may not see your coursework from external institutions:
- Most common: SBCC did not receive your external official transcripts and you have not requested a review of your transcript. Transcripts must be official and evaluations must be requested.
- External coursework must be complete to be evaluated. In-progress coursework is not evaluated.
- Coursework completed prior to Summer 1983 is not displayed on the degree audit. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
- The degree audit does not include coursework from non-California Community Colleges. If you have transcripts from UC, CSU, private colleges, or out of state institutions please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
- Santa Barbara City College grants lower division subject and/or unit credit for most coursework completed at regionally accredited institutions of higher learning. Only in very limited circumstances can upper-division coursework be used to clear certain requirements at SBCC.
Will math courses from other institutions count toward requirements at SBCC? Many math courses from other California Community Colleges are accepted in place of courses offered by SBCC. Check the Math Matrix* to see substitutes for SBCC math courses. If you have coursework from non-California Community Colleges please contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
*On the Math Matrix click "Enable Editing." Scroll over courses marked in red to see additional topics you need to study on your own time in order to be prepared for the next level course.
If an external course is not equivalent to a course from SBCC, but I think it meets the program requirements, what are my options? Course substitutions are permitted for some programs. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
Will my external transcript GPA be included on my SBCC transcript? The GPA from your external coursework is not calculated or included in the overall GPA on SBCC transcripts. However, grades for external coursework are displayed in Degree Works™ and may be applied toward transfer requirements. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
Can I transfer coursework from a foreign/international institution to SBCC? It is possible to transfer your foreign/international coursework to SBCC. To receive transfer credit toward an SBCC degree or certificate based on international transcripts, students must provide an official evaluation of their transcripts by an independent transcript evaluation service that is a member of either the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE) or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). Go to AICE or NACES for member listings.
- Meet with an SBCC Academic Counselor to find out if it would be beneficial for you to apply for transfer credit. Comprehensive evaluations of international transcripts can be expensive, and may not be necessary depending upon your educational goals. Our Academic Counselors can advise you accordingly.
- All agencies are private organizations. It is the responsibility of the student to pay for the services rendered.
- You may need to request a detailed or comprehensive report that includes a course-by-course review with unit value, grade, and lower/upper division breakdown.
- It is important for the student to provide complete and accurate information, following the specific directions of the respective agencies.
- Submit the official international transcript evaluation report to the SBCC Admissions & Records Office.
What is Degree Works™? Degree Works™ is an online, comprehensive degree audit and academic advising tool that enables students and advisors to evaluate academic progress. Access Degree Works™ using your Pipeline login. More information about Degree Works™ is available on the Academic Counseling website.
Why are some of my external courses shown in Degree Works™ with the subject "TRF" and number “999T”? SBCC assigns a direct equivalent for external coursework whenever possible. However, the course may be assigned the subject TRF and number 999T if there is no direct equivalent course at SBCC, or if the course was taken prior to Fall 2008.
When applicable, these courses may satisfy SBCC degree and certificate requirements, as well as IGETC and CSU GE requirements.
Why are some areas of my degree audit in Degree Works™ incomplete if I took a course at a different institution that I know meets the requirement? Rarely, some external coursework may not display properly in the degree audit in Degree Works. This most often happens with pre-major
requirements, major requirements, or the CSU GE U.S History, Constitution and American
Ideals section if the course was taken prior to Fall 2004. If you think your external
coursework meets degree/certificate requirements but is not on your audit contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
Where can I find more information about prerequisite and corequisite policies? Visit the prerequisite and corequisite page for information on completing prerequisite verification forms, frequently asked questions, processing and decision information, and more.
Where can I find more information on testing and alternatives to testing? Visit the Assessment Center for information on English and Math assessment testing, as well as alternatives to testing such as AP exam scores.
Where can I find more information about SBCC academic policies as they apply to external coursework and exams? Students are highly encouraged to review the Academic Standards and Policies section of the SBCC General Catalog.
Contact the Transcript Evaluation Office (TEO) by email at email@example.com.*
PLEASE NOTE: The TEO does not advise students on how external coursework will apply toward their educational goals at SBCC. Contact an Academic Counselor for assistance.
*Due to a large number of requests, we cannot respond to inquiries on the processing status of evaluations submitted using the Transcript, AP, and Prerequisite Evaluation Request (TAPPER) online form. You will be contacted by TEO staff if there are any issues with your evaluation. Visit the FAQ page for more information on processing timelines. Check TAPPER for the status of your request, or check Degree Works to see if your external coursework has been applied to your degree audit.