Human Resources

Back to SBCC

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I request accommodation for disability?

Santa Barbara City College is an equal opportunity employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, national origin, religion, age, sex, race, color, ancestry, marital, parental or veteran status, sexual orientation, or physical or mental disability, or on the basis of these perceived characteristics or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics, consistent with applicable federal and state laws.  Reasonable accommodation will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self disclose.

If you have questions or are disabled and require special accommodation with the application process, interviews, or tests, please contact the Human Resources office at (805) 965-0581, extension 2258.


How do I find out about jobs at Santa Barbara City College?

SBCC utilizes the Employment Search and Application system to better facilitate our prospective employees’ needs.  Please log on to

Features Include:

  • Ability to view the entire classification description online.
  • Create a password protected file to maintain or update your online employment application.
  • Search and apply for positions at any time 24/7.
  • Ability to self attach required documents for applications online.

Positions may be advertised in Sunday's Santa Barbara News Press, the California Community College Registry, the Chronicle of Higher Education, craigslist, and other publications. The college usually staffs a booth at the California Community Colleges Job Fair which is held in Los Angeles in January or February of each year. 
Where do I apply?

 For job opportunities, our employment application process is on-line only. Applications and the list of vacant positions are available at

Assistance with the online application process is available through Human Resources by phone at (805) 965-0581, extension 2258.

Public access computers are available on campus at: the Library Cyber Center, Mondays through Thursdays, 7:30 am – 10:00pm, Fridays 7:30 am - 4:30 pm, and Sunday 1:00 – 9:00 pm; the Cyber Center in the Campus Center, Mondays - Thursday, 9:00 am - 4:30 pm, Friday 9:00 – 1:00 pm, Schall Career Center, Monday & Thursday 8:00 am - 4:15 pm, Tuesday & Wednesday 8:00 am - 6:00pm, and Friday 8:00 am - 1:00 pm.

Public access computers are also available at the public library, Kinko's stores, and some coffee shops.

How do I apply for a job?

What is the hiring process for full-time credit faculty and full-time non-teaching staff positions?

After the application deadline has passed, your education and experience will be evaluated based upon the job-related evaluation criteria listed in the job announcement. Those individuals who are determined to be best qualified by this evaluation will be selected for an interview. For faculty positions, this determination is made by a committee. For non-teaching staff positions, this determination is made by the hiring supervisor. The final selection for full-time faculty positions is made by the Superintendent-President; the final selection for classified, non-teaching staff positions is made by the hiring supervisor. All applicants will be notified of their selection or non-selection.

What is the hiring process for adjunct faculty in the credit program?

Human Resources accept online applications for our Adjunct Pools on an ongoing basis.  Applicants must complete the online application and attach the appropriate mandatory documents.  We are no longer accepting paper applications and other materials by mail.  Please start out by going to and follow the directions. 

When there is a need for an Adjunct Faculty, the department chair will contact the applicant directly for an interview.  Once hired by the department chair, Human Resources will send out a new hire packet for processing.

If you need help with the online application process, please contact Chantille Marquez (805) 965-0581 Ext. 4734. 

What is the hiring process for part-time temporary non-teaching hourly staff positions?

There is often a need to hire individuals to do part-time temporary non-teaching hourly staff work. The type of work available varies widely, from clerical and custodial to food service and security. Interested individuals should contact their department of interest directly. Individuals are selected and hired by the actual department on an as-needed basis. Hours of work are limited to 19.5 weekly, and workers in this category are not eligible for any employee benefits. Those selected for hire  must be board approved  and are required to complete paperwork in the Human Resources office before beginning work. 

How much will I be paid?

Individual placement on a salary range is dependent on related experience and educational criteria. The link for salary range information for non-teaching staff positions can be found under "classification information" on the Human Resources home page. Links to current salary schedules can be found on the Human Resources home page. The Human Resources home page is:

What about benefits?

What about benefits eligibility for credit adjunct instructors?

How do I find a job on campus if I am an SBCC student?

A wide variety of on-campus jobs are available for SBCC students. A listing of on-campus job openings can be found at the Career Center, Student Services Building, 2nd floor, Room SS 282. You may also approach individual departments or faculty members to inquire about on-campus job opportunities for SBCC students. On-campus jobs for students are not advertised off campus.

You may also access information about student jobs that are available by going to The Connection. The Connection lists on-campus and off-campus jobs and internship opportunities for SBCC students. Students please click here: The Connection for Students. If you are an employer please click here: The Connection for Employers .

If you need assistance with The Connection please contact the Career Center at (805) 965-0581 ext. 2331 or via email at  Or, drop by the Career Center in the Student Services building and we will be happy to get you up and running on The Connection. 

In general terms, to be employed as a student in an on-campus job, you must be enrolled at SBCC for a minimum of 6 units for the semester. International Students must be registered for a minimum of 12 units at SBCC and must have completed at least 1 semester at SBCC and be in good standing (2.0 GPA) with the International Student Services office. Before beginning work in an on-campus student job, the necessary employment packet paperwork must be completed at the On-Campus Student Employment desk in the Human Resources office, Student Services Building, Room SS 230. At the time of hire, you will be asked to provide proof of identity and evidence of your right to work in this country (i.e., current photo ID, actual social security card, US passport).

How do I apply for a part-time teaching position in the Continuing Education Division?

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2014 Santa Barbara City College