NOTICE: As of February 20, 2014, applications are no longer accepted for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, until after we exhaust the current wait list. The Fall 2016 cohort will be filled from the current wait list. Check the website periodically for updates regarding when new applications will be accepted.
A maximum of 22 students are admitted to each cohort. This is based on the number of clinical sites that will accommodate our students. Our clinical sites are as far north as Templeton and as far south as Burbank.
Sonography Prerequisite Information:
1. Completion of a two-year allied health education program that is
patient-care related (RT, RN, PT etc.). Program must have been
a full-time 24 month including 6 months clinical experience.
2. Bachelor's degree with the following prerequisites:
- Anatomy (i.e. Biomed 107) 4 units
- Physiology (i.e. Biomed 108) 4 units
The following prerequisites may be completed while on the wait list or during the first fall semester of the program:
Medical Terminology: An equivalent one-semester course may be found at most Community Colleges.
Patient Care: A CNA or EMT will be accepted to meet the Patient Care requirement. If a student wishes to take RT 120 at SBCC, it is offered in the fall semesters only, and is available only to students who are already on the wait list and by clearance from the department.
Cross Sectional Anatomy (DMS 250): This is best taken at SBCC. It is offered only in the Fall Semester, and is offered to students who are already on the wait list and by clearance from the department.
3. MD or DO degrees from in or outside the U.S., equivalent to those
of the U.S. and Canada
After acceptance to the DMS program, and before entering, students are required to:
1. Attend a DMS orientation meeting the semester prior to entry
(time and date will be announced).
2. Complete the SBCC physical examination on SBCC form
3. Submit results of a TB skin test, and update annually.
4. Obtain a CPR card, which must be kept current throughout the program.
5. Complete a background check
6. Complete a drug screening