Military Personnel Credit
Advanced Placement by Credit for Military Personnel
Military Personnel and Veterans with military healthcare training and experience may be eligible for advanced placement in the nursing program. The following criteria must be met:
- All prerequisite courses required for admission into the nursing program must be completed prior to application.
- A proficiency score of at least 62% on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
- Documentation of honorable discharge (DD214) or current active honorable service is required.
The following pathways have been established to assist with obtaining nursing credit for previous education and experience.
Including but not limited to Basic Medical Technician (Navy Hospital Corpsman) or USAF Basic Medical Service Technician or Army Medical Specialist.
- Challenge exam per college policy for the first semester of the ADN program.
a) The course(s) challenged are based on the needs and prior experience of the individual requesting.
b) Candidates must meet the same eligibility requirements for admission into the ADN program as other applicants, including completion of prerequisites.
- Acceptance of applicants into the ADN program is contingent upon:
a) Space availability.
b) A satisfactory level of achievement on first semester skills competency.
c) Achieving 75% or above on each of the written challenge examinations for the following courses:
- NURS 161-Pharmacology Nursing
- NURS 162-Medical-Surgical Nursing I
d) Achieving 100% on the Medication Administration Competency Exam.
Including but not limited to Basic Medical Technician (Navy Hospital Corpsman) or USAF Basic Medical Service Technician or Army Medical Specialist with an active California LVN license (Licensed Vocational Nurse) either through challenge (BVNPT Method 4) or successful completion of an LVN program.
- Military personnel with licensure as an LVN in the state of California are eligible to apply for the LVN-RN Program.
- All applicants to the LVN-RN Program must meet all eligibility requirements and completion of prerequisites.
- Applicants will be ranked utilizing the multi-criteria point formula, just as all other LVN-RN applicants.