School of Modern Languages

Back to SBCC

After JAPN 104 Cross Enrollment

 How You Can Continue Taking Japanese Courses After SBCC Japanese 104

After you complete Japanese 104 at SBCC, you can continue taking advanced levels of Japanese courses at UCSB as an SBCC student through Cross Enrollment, where you can enroll (without formal admission) to UCSB.

Please refer to the following two websites and know the eligibility for Cross Enrollment.

  • Cross Enrollment (from the SBCC website)
  • Intersegmental Cross Enrollment Program (ICE) (from the UCSB website).

The procedure of the enrollment is as follows:

  • Step 1. Check your eligibility with your SBCC academic counselor.
  • Step 2. Get the eligibility certification from SBCC.
  • Step 3. Email to a coordinator* from the Japanese program at UCSB and sign up for the placement test.
  • Step 4. Bring the eligibility requirement form to the placement test.

*The coordinator who you should contact varies according to an academic year so please ask Kumi Hashimoto ( when you want to take a placement test at UCSB. She will let you know the contact information.

Other information:

1. How do Japanese Courses at UCSB work?

Japanese courses at UCSB: What and when? The first-year courses: J1 (Fall Quarter), J2 (Winter Quarter) and J3 (Spring Quarter). The second-year courses: J4 (Fall Quarter), J5 (Winter Quarter) and J6 (Spring Quarter). The third-year courses: J120A (Fall Quarter), J120B (Winter Quarter) and J120C (Spring Quarter). Upper courses (See the Japanese Program Website.)

 SBCC-UCSB comparison


2. I am transferring to UCSB this coming quarter. What should I do?

Take a placement test at UCSB. They provide placement tests at the beginning of each quarter. You can get the information (e.g., how to register, when and where) from the Japanese Language Program Website.

SBCC Transfer Academy


Back to topBack to top

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College