Sonography Prerequisite Information:
All applicants are required to satisfy one of the following prerequisite options as required by the ARDMS Licensing Committee:
- Completion of a two-year allied health education program that is patient-care related (R.T., R.N., P.T., etc.) Program must have been full-time, 24 months that included six months' clinical experience.
- Bachelor's degree with completion of the following prerequisites:
- Human Anatomy (BMS 107 at SBCC) - 4 units
- Human Physiology (BMS 108 at SBCC) - 4 units
- Intermediate Algebra, Statistics, or higher mathematics (e.e. Math 107, Math 117, PSY 150, Math 120, or higher)
- General Physics (e.g. PHYS 101, PHYS 102, or higher - OR RT 119 if completed SBCC's Radiology program)
- Communication (e.e. ENG 110, or 110H, or COMM 131 or 131H)
The following may be completed while on the wait list, before starting the program, or concurrently with the program during the first fall semester:
- Cross-sectional Anatomy (i.e. RT 250) offered in fall semester only at SBCC
- Patient Care (i.e. RT 120) offered in fall semester only at SBCC
- Note: RT 120 & RT 250 may be taken the fall semester prior to starting the program with program approval.
The following may be taken at another college while on the wait list or during the first year of the program:
- Medical Terminology (i.e. HIT 135 (3 units)
- M.D. or D.O degrees from in or outside the U.S., equivalent to those of the U.S. and Canada.
Before entering the DMS Program, students are required to:
- Attend a DMS orientation meeting the semester prior to entry (time and date will be announced);
- Complete the SBCC physical examination on SBCC form including immunizations and a TB test;
- Obtain a CPR card, which must be kept current throughout the program;
- Pass a background check;
- Pass a drug screening.