Length of Program
This is an 18-month Certificate Program in which courses are arranged in a meaningful sequence and must be taken in the order planned. The program begins each year 1-2 weeks before the College’s Summer Semester.
Information about the Program
The course of study in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography (DMS) Program offered at Santa Barbara City College will enable students to attend class Fridays and Saturdays while continuing to work part-time in health care. The program includes didactic/classroom courses with on-line components and clinical experiences in sonography. The majority of time is spent in the clinical setting and can be arranged in a wide variety of SBCC’s affiliated facilities in the South Coast. Students who complete the program will be able to:
- Demonstrate scanning techniques for obstetrical, gynecological, medical/surgical, neonatal, and pediatric patients.
- Differentiate between normal and abnormal structures of the abdomen, pelvis, small body parts, and peripheral vascular arteries and abdominal vascular.
- Utilize high frequency sound waves to image arterial and venous peripheral vascular, abdominal vascular and extra cranial carotid arteries; as well as abdominal organs and small parts.
- Obtain a certificate in DMS
- Achieve eligibility to take the ARDMS registry exams in general Sonography (focusing on the abdomen).