Health and Safety
PERSONAL SAFETY TIPS
- Lock your doors and windows always - whether you are at home or away.
- Do not hide a door key outside.
- Do not let anyone in your home that you do not know or trust.
- Do not give out your phone number to “wrong number” callers.
- Contact area law enforcement if you feel threatened.
- Plan and vary your route.
- Always tell someone where you are going and when you will return.
- Carry your cell phone or know where phones are along the route.
- Carry identification.
- Wear reflective material if you are going out at night.
- Avoid unpopulated areas.
- Trust your intuition about a person or an area.
- Know where the campus emergency phones are located.
- Never walk alone at night or in secluded areas.
- Call 965-0581 ext. 2269 for a Campus Security Escort.
- Call 965-0581 ext. 2400 for campus emergencies.
- Get to know your neighbors.
- Form agreements to watch each other’s homes.
- Know the laws and obey them.
- Don’t go to parties alone.
- If you plan to consume alcohol, eat first. Alternate glasses of water with glasses
- If you drink, watch your open container. Do not allow anyone you don’t know to fill
- Don’t leave a party with someone you don’t know.
- Remember, 90-foot cliffs are between I.V. and the ocean - stay away from the edge!
- Know where you are going before you leave your house.
- Don’t go out alone at night.
- Know what time coffee shops and restaurants close.
- Obey the law.
Isla Vista Survival Guide: Safety Off Campus
Penal Codes and County Ordinances most often enforced in Isla Vista
Back to top
721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394 Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581 © 2016 Santa Barbara City College