Dr. John Kay
Annual Faculty Lecturer 1983 - 1984
John Kay A NATIVE OF Peace Dale, Rhode Island, John Kay was raised and educated in Santa Barbara since the age of eight. An honor graduate from Santa Barbara High School in 1953, he holds bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees from the University of California at Santa Barbara. His doctoral dissertation explored bureaucratic influence patterns in the state politics of education.
Dr. Kay taught briefly at Garden Grove High School and San Marcos High School before coming to Santa Barbara City College as a member of the "Class of 1965." In addition to teaching at Santa Barbara City College, he has been a periodic lecturer at UCSB in political science, 1966?84. His college teaching has ranged from Asian politics and Western civilization to American politics and history-and currently focuses on public policy analysis, American politics, and law and society.
IN ADDITION TO his teaching duties, Professor Kay is currently chairman of the SBCC Social Science/Library/ Ethnic Studies/Foreign Languages Division and a member of the College Planning Council, Division Council and Curriculum Committee. He is a past president of the Faculty Senate and of the Instructors'Association and has served on numerous other campus committees. He has also been a delegate to various statewide community college organizations. In 1983, he was the recipient of a Fulbright scholarship to study and travel throughout the Republic of India.
The speaker is currently on the board of the United Nations Association of Santa Barbara and board member of the Democratic League. He is past president and current board member of the Santa Barbara Teachers Federal Credit Union and of the Santa Barbara County Schools Personnel Commission. For the past six summers, he has served as Deputy Director, Department of Area Studies, in the School of International Studies at Kennedy Center, Fort Bragg, North Carolina.
JOHN KAY is married to the former Edith Jacobson. They have two children, Helen and Mary, and live in the Foothill area of Santa Barbara.