Academic Counseling Center

Back to SBCC

Pass/No Pass Grading

Can I take a class for Pass/No Pass Grading?

Students may elect a Pass/No Pass grading option with a faculty signature (academic counselor, department chairperson, or instructor of record). A completed Pass / No Pass form must be submitted to Admissions & Records no later than Friday of the 5th week of the semester (Fall & Spring) and Friday of the 2nd week during summer session. (30% length of courses that are not full semester length) After that time, neither the student nor the instructor may change the decision.

A pass grade is granted for performance that is equivalent to the letter grade of “C” or better, which equates to satisfactory completion. A student who fails to perform satisfactory will be assigned a “no pass” grade. 

Transfer institutions may not accept all course with Pass/No Pass grading.  You are encouraged to consult with an academic counselor about your decision to take a course Pass/No Pass and the ramifications it may have towards meeting degree and/or transfer requirements. See a counselor in the Transfer Center or Academic Counseling Center for clarification or contact the college or university directly.

It is the student’s responsibility to submit PASS / NO PASS forms to Admissions & Records prior to the stated deadline. Forms that do not have a signature from course instructor or academic counselor will not be accepted. 

Pass can be used for IGETC (even in English and Math). Keep in mind that some campuses require international students to obtain a letter grade in English. 

The UC system will allow 14 units of the 60 transferable units to be graded Pass. Some colleges/universities and departments require letter grades for prerequisite courses. The CSU campuses have no uniform limitations on Community College transfer courses graded Pass. Check the specific catalog for additional answers.

How does taking classes for Pass/No Pass work?

Taking classes for Pass/No Pass means that you are requesting to receive credit for a course without receiving a letter grade (A, B, C, D, F). As long as you earn the equivalent of an A, B, or C, you will earn a "Pass" for a grade of record. If you earn a D or F, you will earn a "No Pass" on your official transcript.

Some courses at SBCC are designated as "Pass/No Pass ONLY" courses in both the catalog and schedule. Earning a letter grade is not an option for these courses. In other courses, where Pass/No Pass is an option, you must turn in the Pass/No Pass request form to Admissions & Records office by the published deadline (DATE and TIME) in the schedule of classes. After that time, neither the student nor the instructor may change the decision. Credit will be granted only when the work is of a quality equivalent to a grade of "C" or better.

Units earned on a Pass basis will not be calculated into your GPA.

How do I request Pass/No Pass?

Complete the Pass/No Pass Petition available at or from the Admissions & Records Office. Take the completed petition to your instructor or counselor for approval. After your instructor or counselor signs and dates your Pass/No Pass Petition, you must return it to Admissions & Records for processing. Be sure to submit it prior to the last day to petition for Pass/No Pass. Check the Student Calendar for that date at (It is often due by 1:00pm on the final day).

Students enrolled in online classes should send an email requesting the Pass/No Pass grading option to their online instructor. Plan ahead. Send your request early so that your online instructor has adequate time to review, approve and forward your request to Admissions & Records prior to the deadline noted on the academic calendar at The online instructor, after approving the Pass/No Pass, forwards the students email request with approval to including the course subject code and number, the CRN (course reference number) and the full student name and K (ID) number.

Requests for Pass/No Pass that are received or submitted after the deadline will not be processed.


Back to top Back to top

721 Cliff Drive Santa Barbara, CA 93109-2394    Main Campus Phone: 805.965.0581    © 2018 Santa Barbara City College