How do I meet with a counselor?
Continuing students will be able to schedule an appointment with your Primary Counselor for long term planning via Starfish starting the second week of the semester.
New students need to attend Class Planning.
Transfer-in students need to request transcripts before meeting with an academic counselor. Click here.
For fully online students, please contact the Academic Counseling Center by filling out this inquiry form.
Please note: You will be assigned an academic counselor based on your major or program affiliation (e.g. EOPS). If you change majors while at SBCC, there is a possibility that your Academic Counselor will change.
Appointment Policy: The Academic Counseling Center is committed to serving all students. In order to do so, appointments with your Primary Academic Counselor will be limited to two (2) per semester. Failure to cancel in advance via Starfish will count as one of the appointments. If you schedule a same day appointment it will take the place of any future appointments in Starfish for the current semester. If you are more than 10 minutes late, you may be required to reschedule.
What to expect from your appointment:
- You and your counselor will work together to develop a plan that identifies the courses you need to take to reach your academic goals.
Prepare for your appointment by identifying your priorities:
- Major: Have an idea of your major. If you do not, then visit the Career Center first.
- Education Goal: Do you want to earn an AA/AS, or transfer or both?
- Transfer: If you want to transfer to a 4 year institution, where do you want to go?
- Time line: How long do you want to stay at SBCC?
- General Education: Review the different GE patterns: IGETC, CSU
- Transcripts: Make sure your official transcripts are on file from any school attended (college and high school). If your records are not on file in your Pipeline, bring unofficial copies to your counseling session. Please include any AP/IB scores.