Virtual Tutoring Station
These are the resources that students use most frequently as they work on their writing with a tutor. Here are similar on line resources you might want to use on your own.
||SBCC WRITING CENTER HANDOUTS
WRITER'S HANDBOOK ALTERNATIVES:
Owl at Purdue
and Hyper Grammar
MLA (7th) | MLA (8th) | APA
SBCC STUDENT SERVICES
|SBCC LURIA LIBRARY||WRITING SKILLS WORKSHOPS|
ABOUT THESE RESOURCES
- Although we have general-purpose dictionaries available in the center, the dictionaries at each station are LEARNER'S DICTIONARIES. We appreciate the easy-to-grasp definitions and examples that learner's dictionaries provide, and we find them especially helpful for English language learners. One learner’s dictionaries you can find on line: www.learnersdictionary.com
- A THESAURUS can help you find words that have similar meanings and introduce variety into your vocabulary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/ (This link will also take you to a standard general-purpose dictionary.)
- Each station has a binder that contains all of the SBCC WRITING CENTER HANDOUTS. These are also available online. Feel free to download them and print them out.
- We don't have enough COLLOCATION DICTIONARIES to keep one at every station, but we sometimes wish we did. Collocation dictionaries help English language learners find words that go together in English, which can help them sound more like native speakers. www.ozdic.com
- The writer's HANDBOOK chosen by the English department at City College is A Writer's Resource: A Handbook for Writing and Research. Although it is not available online, both of these resources have similar kinds
- The HYPERGRAMMAR site, http://www.uottawa.ca/academic/arts/writcent/hypergrammar/, is focused mostly on sentence-level questions,
- while the OWL AT PURDUE, http://owl.english.purdue.edu/, covers all aspects of writing and the writing process.
- If you are looking for CITATION GUIDELINES, consider these pages (check first if your instructor is using MLA 7th or 8th edition):
We also keep a binder with TUTOR RESOURCES that includes the following:
- information on the Academic Counseling Center