Information for Out-Of-Area Students
If you live outside the Santa Barbara area choose one of the following options to meet your new student Assessment requirement:
- You might not be required to take SBCC's English and/or math test.
- Click here for more information on items (AP, SAT scores, etc.) that can be used to exempt you
- Check the testing schedule carefully and plan to test at SBCC on a scheduled testing day/time.
- Bring your completed REAP test preparation form and a photo I.D. with you.
- No appointment is required but all tests must be completed by closing.
- If you need extended time or another accommodation for disability, you must make arrangements with SBCC's Disability Services and Programs for Students (DSPS) Department prior to testing. To make arrangements for testing with an accommodation, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (805) 730-4164.
- If traveling to SBCC to test presents a significant financial/personal hardship, out-of-area
students may temporarily defer (postpone) Assessment.
- The deferral will temporarily clear your Assessment hold, but you will be unable to
register for math and/or English courses until testing is completed.
- To register for courses that do not require testing, complete New Student Orientation
and Academic Advising online and submit the Request For Assessment Deferral contract. The form may be mailed, emailed, or faxed to the Assessment Office (see form for
contact information). Plan to test soon after you arrive in Santa Barbara.
- Note: Once received, your request will be processed within two business days. You will not be individually notified that your request has been approved, but you may check under the 'Registration' area of your Pipeline account to verify that your Assessment hold has been cleared. Students will only be individually notified via SBCC Pipeline email if their deferral request is denied.